Roosters, geese, peacocks and turkeys can be kept on your property with written approval from the Manager of Health Services.
Poultry / Chickens can be kept according to the criteria below:
- No more than 12 poultry on your property at one time.
- They must be kept in a properly constructed enclosure.
- to be at least 1.2m from the property boundary, and
- 9m from any place of human habitation.
- must be maintained and clean so it doesn't create offensive odours, or encourage the breeding of flies.
If an Environmental Health Officer deems a nuisance exists, they may instruct that the number of poultry be reduced, or for all poultry to be removed.
If you have any queries regarding poultry, or wish to report a nuisance, please contact customer service on 1300 635 845 or