Planning Services

Information to assist with lodging planning applications for residential and commercial developments.

Lodging a Planning Application

  1. Development That Does Not Require a Planning Application
  2. Development that Requires a Planning Application
  3. Home Occupation, Home Business & Home Office
  4. Pre-Lodgement Assessment
  5. Subdivision & Amalgamation of Property
  6. Heritage
  7. Further Planning Information

1. Lodging a Planning Application

The City of Melville's Planning Application Checklist outlines the information required when lodging a planning application.

The City's Planning Application Form is to be used for all planning application types that are determined by the City of Melville.

Please refer to the Development Assessment Panel page for information on the lodgement and assessment of DAP applications.

Where a planning application is required for your proposed development, they may be lodged:

  • Online through the City's Online Services Page
  • By post addressed to: City of Melville Planning Services, Locked Bag 1, Booragoon WA 6954
  • In person at the City of Melville offices,10 Almondbury Road, Booragoon

At this stage, the following types of planning applications are to be lodged by post or in person:

  • Amendments to previous Planning Approvals
  • Change of Use
  • Gaming Permits
  • Subdivision Clearances
  • Street Renumbering
  • Home Occupation & Home Business
  • Modification / extinguishment of Restrictive Covenants

All other planning application types are to be lodged online.

2. Development that does not require a Planning Application

Clause 61 of the Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 outlines types of development that do not require lodgement of a planning application.


  • Internal building works which do not increase the floor area of a commercial premises and on a property that is not heritage listed
  • Compliant Single Houses
  • Compliant additions or extensions (patios, sheds, carports) to Single Houses or Grouped Dwellings on a property that is not heritage listed
  • Residential development that complies with the provisions of Local Planning Policy LPP1.17 Additional Development Exemptions
  • Demolition of a building on a property that is not heritage listed
  • Home Office
  • Advertising signage that complies with LPP2.2 Outdoor Advertising and Signage Policy

Clause 61 of the Regulations also outlines other types of development that do not require lodgement of a planning application. The Regulations are available to download from the State Law Publisher website.

The City's Local Planning Policy LPP1.17 Additional Development Exemptions also contains additional parameters for certain types of development that do not require planning approval. These include:

  • Compliant outbuildings (sheds)
  • Compliant patios and other shade structures
  • Minor structures such as flag poles, cubby houses and letterboxes
  • Swimming Pools
  • Demolition (of both residential and non-residential development) where the property is not listed on the City's Heritage List

Please refer to the Planning Documents page of the City's website to obtain a copy of LPP1.17.

The City's Online Mapping Services program 'Intramaps' provides general property and zoning information to assist you in determining if lodgement of a planning application is required for your development proposal.

Please contact Planning Services or email the City of Melville to determine if lodgement of a planning application is required for your development proposal.

A fee will be charged where written planning advice is sought confirming whether lodgement of a planning application is required for a development proposal. Please refer to the Urban Planning Schedule of Fees and Charges.

3. Development that requires a Planning Application

There are several types of development that require lodgement of a planning application:

  • New Grouped Dwellings
  • Non-compliant Single Houses
  • Non-compliant residential development (additions or extensions to existing dwellings including carports, patios and front fences)
  • New or additions/alterations to existing non-residential buildings (including retail, commercial, medical or industrial premises)
  • Change of use (from one use type to another)
  • Signage (new signage or additional to existing approved signage)
  • Home Occupation
  • Home Business

4. Proposed Home Business, Home Occupation or Home Office

A proposed Home Office does not require planning approval.

A proposed Home Occupation or Home Business require planning approval.

The minimum requirements for a Home Occupation are:
•    Operates in an area of 20 square metres or less
•    Only employs members of the household
•    Does not involve the retail sale, display or hire of any goods from the premises

The minimum requirements for a Home Business are:
•    Operates in an area 50 square metres or less
•    Can employ up to 2 people who are not members of the household
•    Does not involve the retail sale, display or hire of any goods from the premises

A Home Business operating from a house that is zoned Residential will require advertising to adjoining properties during assessment of the application.

Please refer to the definition of Home Occupation and Home Business under the City’s Local Planning Scheme No. 6 for more detailed information.

Local Planning Policy LPP2.2 Outdoor Advertising and Signage contains provisions for signage proposed for a Home Occupation or Home Business. Refer to the Planning Documents page of the website to access the policy.

Applications for Home Business or Home Occupation are to be lodged in person or by post and are to include a completed Planning Application Form and all information outlined under the Planning Application Checklist.

5. Pre-Lodgement Assessment

Multiple dwelling and mixed use developments (where the proposal incorporates both residential and non-residential tenancies) and Development Assessment Panel applications require a pre-lodgement assessment with the City's Planning Services department prior to formal lodgement.

Please contact a Senior Planning Officer at the City to discuss a preliminary proposal.

The Officer will undertake a pre-lodgement assessment of the proposal against the requirements of the Local Planning Scheme, Structure Plan/Activity Centre Plan (where relevant), the Residential Design Codes and Local Planning Policy.

The preliminary proposal will also be referred to the City’s Architectural and Urban Design Advisory Panel for review and comment. This is free of charge.

The applicant and architect will be invited and recommended to attend the panel meeting to outline the proposal and respond to questions by the Panel. Comments provided by the Panel are expected to be integrated into the proposal for formal lodgement.

6. Subdivision & Amalgamation of Property

The Western Australian Planning Commission determine applications for subdivision and amalgamation.

Subdivision and amalgamation applications are lodged through the Planning WA website.

The potential to subdivide is determined by criteria such as the total site area of a property, the designated zoning of a property under the City's Local Planning Scheme No. 6 and the allocated residential density coding for the property under LPS6.

Residential property subdivision and amalgamation is guided by requirements contained under the Residential Design Codes (State Planning Policy 3.1).

7. Heritage

Some properties within the City of Melville are identified for their heritage significance and listed on the City’s Heritage List.

Please refer to the Local Government Inventory and Heritage List page for more information.

8. Further Planning Information

If you require further assistance please contact the City either by:

  • Phone to Customer Service on 1300 635 845 and request to speak to a Planning Officer
  • Email to and attention to Planning Services. Please provide the property address and details of your query. 

The Planning WA website also provides access to State Planning Policies, including State Planning Policy 3.1 - Residential Design Codes and information about Development Assessment Panels.

The State Heritage Office website provides access to information such as:

  • The inHerit heritage property database
  • Contact details for consultants, heritage architects and conservation tradespersons