Biggest Garage Sale in Western Australia
The City of Melville took part in the nationwide Garage Sale Trail for the third year running on Saturday, 22 October 2016, and came in as the top performing Local Government in the State and fifth top in the country with more than 223 garage sales registered across Melville suburbs.
Supported by more than 30 Western Australian councils, and State Government partners including the Waste Authority of WA, the Garage Sale Trail is the fastest-growing sustainability and reuse event in Australia.
City of Melville Mayor Russell Aubrey said the Garage Sale Trail provided a wonderful opportunity for the community to get together, meet their neighbours and repurpose already used items while making extra funds.
“This event gets the community thinking about reducing waste and increasing reuse, recycling and repurposing items, in a fun, family friendly environment,” he said.
More than 5,000 shoppers from across the community trailed the sales, generating over $48,000 in earnings for local sellers and on average created 22 new community connections per sale.
Sellers that have any unsold, leftover items are encouraged to follow the Garage Sale Trail’s sustainability tips:
- Have items of value? Sell it on Ebay or Gum Tree to get some extra cash.
- Store items for next year’s sale, or host your own garage sale.
- Can’t bear to throw it away? Store it with Storage King. You may get one month free if you quote ‘Garage Sale Trail’ when booking.
- Donate items to charity shops or drop clothes off to charity bins in your neighbourhood.
- Download and check out the recycle right app to see what you can recycle in your yellow top bin.
Check out your next verge collection date and find out what to do with e-waste and hazardous waste, by visiting melvillecity.com.au/waste.
For residents who have exhausted all other options and simply can’t recycle, reuse or repurpose items, they can take them to the City of Cockburn or Canning tips (fees apply).
The community are reminded it is illegal to dump items or place them in public litter bins, and could result in hefty fines.
For more information, visit www.melvillecity.com.au/garagesaletrail, or call 1300 635 845 | 9364 0666.