Melville Age-Friendly Accessible Business Network
Melville Age-Friendly & Accessible Businesses (MAFAB) is a network made up of local businesses committed to implementing accessible and age-friendly initiatives that improve the customer experience for seniors and people with disabilities including those living with dementia.
- 23% of Melville residents are currently over 60
- 18.5% of Australians identify themselves as having a disability
- The City of Melville is the second highest local government area for people living with dementia (Access Economics Report, "Projections of dementia prevalence and incidence in WA: 2010-2050")
- Access to the latest government and community initiatives to support
- Age-friendly and accessible businesses including technology, applications and more
- Training and support through workshops and forums
- One-on-one meetings and support from City of Melville staff
- Information from other businesses about initiatives and strategies
Visit www.melvilletalks.com.au/mafab to find out more about the businesses involved and join in the conversation.
MAFAB Outcomes 2016
- Garden City/AMP, foundation member of MAFAB, awarded the 2016 WA Seniors Business Award. Garden City was recognised as the only retail centre in WA to implement strategies to provide outstanding service to seniors.
- Dementia awareness training provided to network members who had requested support in this area.
- Launch of Memory Café, a collaboration between Alzheimer’s Australia WA, Garden City/AMP and the City of Melville, to provide people living with dementia, and their family or carers, a monthly informal get together at Coffea coffee shop.
- Participation at the City’s Your Business Our Future Business Forum
- Reporting to Advocare on the potential for abuse of people in mobility devices at payment counters, as identified by a MAFAB member.
- Feedback to the Council on the Ageing (COTA) about the benefits the Garden City Mall Walking group participants provide to MAFAB businesses at Garden City.
- Positive customer feedback provided to MAFAB members on the exceptional customer service for customers with a disability and/or dementia
- Garden City AMP
- Apple Garden City
- Priceline Booragoon
- Prouds Jewellers Garden City
- Cards Galore Garden City
- Wild Cards & Gifts Garden City
- Coffea Fine Espresso Garden City
- Croissant Express Garden City
- Rhubarbs Booragoon
- Emprise Mobility Equipment
- Granny Flats WA